Spinal Fusion Surgery in India
Spinal fusion also called spondylodesis is a surgery done to join together two or more vertebrae in spine so as to stop movement at the painful vertebrae and thus decrease pain.
In the following sections you will know about:
1.Types and procedure for spinal fusion
2.Cost of spinal fusion surgery
3.Diagnosis and tests for Spinal fusion
4.Leading doctors and hospitals for spinal fusion surgery
5.Frequently asked questions about spinal fusion surgery
Need Specialist Opinion and Personalized Quote? For FREE
We have helped patients from 45+ countries
Our Patient Stories
Jamila Finally Starts Breathing a Normal Life after Her Schizophrenia Treatment in India. Diagnosed with Sschizophrenia and OCD at the age of Ten, Jamila finds her way back to a normal life after 15 yearsView More
A Successful Spinal Decompression Surgery in India Enabled Masuk Ali to Walk Again. Due to cervical spine spondylitis and lack of diagnosis in his own country Ali could not walk or stand on his ownView More
9-year-old Joe Awiti Oneko Goes Back to Kenya Happy after his Successful Spine Treatment in India. Joe's father didn't know that his son's unhygenic habit was the result of a congenital spinal problemView More
Suffering from Recurrent Spinal Tumour and Paralysis, Annah Mwarya Comes to India for Her Treatment. She didn't even know that one of her vertebrae was missing from her spineView More
Suffering from Herniated Discs in his Lumbar Spine for a Year Roland Murphy from Liberia Had a Successful Spine Surgery in India. Along with severe pain Roland also suffered from numbness in his left legView More
Steven Haplet / Polapsed Disc, Spine Surgery / Zimbabwe. His cervical spine was diagnosed to be in a much worse conditionView More
After about a Decade Idrissa Jumbe Mkilla from Tanzania could Walk Again After a Successful Spinal Decompression Surgery in India. Mr Idrissa from Tanzania talks about his successful spine surgery in India.View More
Bended by 40 degrees due to Scoliosis, Sharon Omelie Olokpo's Spine was Successfully Restored in India. I am glad that my posture has been restored.View More
Bed Ridden With Several Burns and Spine Injury Liberian Soldier Jefferson Papie Titus Gets Respite from the Agony in India. Severely injured in a mine blast Titus underwent multiple treatments in IndiaView More
Recommended Doctors For Spinal Fusion Surgery View all (16)
Choose specialists in a citySelected :
Recommended Hospitals For Spinal Fusion Surgery View all (18)
Choose hospitals in a citySelected :
Super Specialty | 350 beds | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 145 beds | New Delhi
Super Specialty | 300 beds | Gurgaon
Multi Specialty | 1000 beds | New Delhi
Spinal Fusion Surgery in India
Types of Spinal fusion surgery
Part of spine- Spinal fusion can be done at any location of spine
- Lumbar fusion- commonly done procedure mainly due to degenerative disc changes in lumbar spine which causes pressure on the spinal cord nerves
- Cervical fusion- also commonly performed due to increased motion and stress on cervical spine.
- Thoracic fusion –thoracic spine being more immobile, so usually the cause of fusion in thoracic spine is trauma or deformities.
Multi levels of spinal fusion
- One level spinal fusion- used to stop motion at one segment eg L4-L5, two vertebra need to be joined together to stop motion at one segment.
- Two level spinal fusion used to stop motion at two segments L4-L5, L5-S1, that is it involves joining of three vertebra , however spinal fusion of 2 or more levels is unlikely to provide pain relief as hampers normal motion of back and puts stress across remaining joints .
- Fusion of 3 or more levels is not done except in cases of scoliosis or deformity .
Procedure of spinal fusion surgery
A complete health check up and diagnostic tests done before surgery ,it involves a series of blood tests , ECG , X ray and scans.Some medications like blood thinners need to be stopped atleast 2 weeks before surgery .It is important to quit smoking as it decreases blood circulation and hampers bone fusion .
Step 1-The patient is positioned and anaethesia given
Step2- Incision is made in skin and tissues are gently moved aside to create a path to spine Minimally invasive techniques have also been developed these allow fusions with small incisions .
The procedure may be done by different techniques depending on the best possible for the patient and expertise of the surgeon
In lumbar spinal fusion different techniques may be
Posterolateral fusion – in this technique the bone graft is placed in between the transverse process and the vertebra are then fixed in place .
Interbody fusion -In this technique entire intervertebral disc is removed and bone graft is placed in space between the vertebra, types of interbody fusion
- Anterior lumbar interbody fusion(ALIF)- this procedure is performed from the front with an incision in lower abdomen ,intervertebral disc is removed and bone graft placed .
- Posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF)- as the name suggests this procedure is performed through the back and also includes removing the disc and inserting bone between two vertebrae.
- Transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion (TLIF)-this procedure is also performed from the back
- Oblique lateral lumbar interbody fusion (OLLIF)- the surgeon may approach the spine from the side .
Step 3- Bone grafting is done - For fusion to occur between two vertebra a bone graft is needed to serve as bridge, generally bone grafts are placed into the space between the vertebrae to be fused .Bone graft helps bone healing and also increases bone production.
The graft used may be
- Allograft – from bone bank / cadaver
- Autograft- usually a piece of bone from around patients own pelvis
- Artificial -Synthetic bone substitute may be used
Step 4-Immobilization-The bone graft and vertebrae must be immobilized while the bone graft heals and fuses .The fusion area is immobilsed and held together with metal rods , screws or cages
Step 5-Incision is then closed , a brace may be prescribed to support the spine
You will be monitored in the hospital for 2-3 days , maybe required to wear a brace while you recover.You will feel some pain after surgery which will be controlled by medications
Bed rest is usually not needed .Rehabilitation may take time and may be several months before the bone is solid .
While the healing is ongoing the fused spine must be kept in proper posture. You will be instructed the correct manner to sit , stand and walk so as to not hamper the fusing process.
After 3-6 months after surgery , the bone graft should join the vertebra above and below to form one solid piece of bone that securely attaches to the spine creating permanent fusion , gradually improving your symptoms and also your activity level.
Diagnostic Tests for Spinal Fusion surgery
- Usually complete symptomatic history of patient taken ,clinical examination Imaging techniques done to confirm diagnosis and also to rule out other problems
- MRI is performed to look for disc problems and check spinal nerves status
- CT Scan for ruling out joints and bones problems
- X-ray to check for arthritis or injuries in vertebrae
- Bone scan to rule out cancer
- Myelogram , electromyogram
Factors affecting cost of Spinal fusion Surgery
The cost to the patient depends on a variety of factors like
- The hospital, the patient chooses.
- Room –Standard single room, deluxe room, super deluxe room for the number of nights specified (including nursing fee, meals, room rate, and room service).
- Fee for the team of doctors.
- Standard test and diagnostic procedures.
- Cost of the follow –up care required after the procedure
Read More: All About Spinal Fusion Surgery
Recovery from Spinal Fusion Surgery - Doctor's Interview - 3.5 Minutes Video